Alcohol Interlock Laws in QLD
Alcohol Interlock Program in Queensland
An alcohol ignition interlock is a breath test gadget connected to the ignition of a car to stop it from starting if the motorist has actually been drinking alcohol.
You will undergo the Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program if you are convicted of any of these offences:
- driving under the influence of alcohol
- a beverage driving offence with a blood/breath alcohol concentration of 0.15 or more failing to provide a blood/breath specimen for analysis
- dangerous driving while influenced by alcohol
- 2 or more drink driving offences of any kind within a 5-year duration.
To complete the program you should hold a legitimate motorist licence with an 'I' condition (for 'interlock') on it and have actually an authorized interlock fitted to a chosen car for a minimum duration of 12 months.
If you select not to have actually an authorized interlock fitted, you will not be able to legitimately drive an automobile for 2 years after your disqualification period ends.
Driving with an alcohol ignition interlock
You might only drive a nominated car that is fitted with an approved interlock, while holding a valid driver licence with an 'I' condition. You need to not have any alcohol in your system while driving.
Other drivers, such as member of the family, might drive the car with the interlock set up. These motorists should likewise tape-record a zero blood alcohol checking out to start the vehicle. There are steps in place to ensure the interlock can not be bypassed by having another person begin the automobile for the interlock motorist.
Process of Getting into the Alcohol Interlock Program
Step 1: Apply for your Restricted Alcohol Interlock Licence
As soon as your disqualification period ends, you will need to apply to have your driver licence reissued at a Transportation and Main Roads client service centre. You will be provided with a probationary licence with an 'I' condition on it.
Step 2: Contact the Alcohol Interlock Service Installer
You will need to arrange to have an interlock set up in your chosen automobile and you will need to pay for all costs including the installation, rental, maintenance and removal of your interlock. You can not buy and install your own interlock.
You might be qualified for a discount on the expenses if you hold a legitimate health care card issued by the Australian Government.
To find out more, contact either of the authorized interlock suppliers:
Draeger Safety Pacific Pty Ltd Phone: 1800 372 437. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guardian Interlock Systems. Phone: 1300 881 005. Email: email@example.com
Step 3: Nominate your vehicle
You will need to give the company a completed vehicle nomination kind (F4841). You can only drive the car you have chosen.
If you drive a business car, you will need to acquire your company's permission for an interlock to be set up in that automobile so that you can lawfully drive it.
Your company will have to sign the automobile nomination type (F4841) before you give the form to your selected interlock service provider.
Alcohol Interlock Exemptions in Queensland
You may have the ability to obtain an alcohol interlock exemption if you:.
- reside in a remote location-- outside a 150km radius from the nearest interlock installer's place of business.
- survive on an island-- not linked to the mainland by bridge, where there is no interlock installer and the island is not a non-exempt island.
- This does apply if you reside any of these islands:
- Coochiemudlo Island.
- Fraser Island.
- Karragarra Island.
- Lamb Island.
- Macleay Island.
- Magnetic Island.
- North Stradbroke Island.
- Orpheus Island.
- Russell Island.
- have a medical condition that stops you from offering the required volume of breath to operate the interlock.
- have mitigating conditions that effect on your capability to reasonably use an interlock-- these situations need to cause you or your family extreme challenge. An interlock exemption will not be given if you are not able to set up the interlock for employment or financial reasons.
Driving with an Interlock Exemption
If given an exemption, you must bring your approved exemption certificate with you at all times and produce it if asked to by a police officer. You can be fined if you drive without your authorized exemption certification.
Applying for an Interlock Exemption
You can make an application for an exemption up to 6 weeks before your beverage driving disqualification period ends. The interlock exemption information sheet (S4863) (PDF, 206KB) provides more information about exemptions and what documents you will need to use.
Application made in person:
Complete and lodge an interlock exemption application (F4862) at your nearest at your nearby Transportation and Main Roads customer service centre.
If your application relates to a medical condition you will likewise need to lodge a medical certificate exemption kind (F4864), which must be completed in consultation with your alleviating medical professional.
You will likewise have to pay the application fee.
Application made by mail:
You can send your exemption application form( s) and cost (cheque or money order payable to the Department of Transportation and Main Roads) to:.
Department of Transport and Main Roads Interlock Processing Unit GPO Box 1412 Brisbane QLD 4001
Depending on your circumstances, you might be eligible for financial assistance if you:
- hold a legitimate Queensland driver licence with an 'I' for interlock licence condition or you have a pending licence application.
- are an Australian person or permanent local.
- have an annual income and bank balance (liquid possessions) below the maximum allowed limits, which apply to your situations (see table below).
- have actually not received monetary assistance for the interlock program in the last 5 years.
If you have a partner, their income and bank balance will likewise be examined. If you are a reliant kid, your mothers and fathers( s)/ guardian( s)' earnings and liquid possessions will be examined.
Contact Our Expert QLD Traffic Lawyers